Confession time! Even as a dietitian, I’m not always as creative as I would like to be when it comes to meat-free meals for lunch at work. My go to lunch, as you know, is a turkey sandwich, but now that Lent has started, I need some new options for Fridays. I do like a tunafish sandwich, but that definitely gets boring after a while. So, I did some thinking during one of my runs and created this recipe! I also reached out to my fellow AWESOME dietitians about what their best meat-free recipes were, and I got some delicious answers! For the next 6 weeks, I’ll be sharing my new recipes AND theirs on Thursdays. Get ready for some new, amazing lunch ideas!
Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Quinoa Bowl
Serving Size: 1 bowl
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Olive oil spray
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/2 cup canned low sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 350⁰F.
- Cook quinoa according to package.
- Half grape tomatoes, add to a sheet pan, spray with olive oil, season with garlic and onion powder and place in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Open canned beans, drain and rinse.
- Add cooked quinoa, tomatoes and beans to bowl and mix together.
- Add mozzarella cheese on top. When you heat this meal in the microwave the next day, the cheese will melt on top for a delicious, protein packed meal!
Calories: 420; Fat: 8.5 g; Saturated fat: 3.5 g; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 250 mg; Carb: 60 g; Fiber: 13 g; Sugars: 8 g; Protein: 22 g
Check out these yummy meals below for some great lunch options!
You all know by now that I love my brussies, so I was super excited when One Hungry Bunny’s Katie, shared this Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad. Filled with veggies and protein and topped with a delicious homemade dressing, this recipe is an awesome lunch idea!
Stay tuned for more recipes over the next few weeks!