Last week, while food shopping, I noticed a fish I hadn’t tried on sale, Hake. Hake is a white fish with a mild favor, that is part of the cod family.
Since it’s Taco Tuesday, I thought it was the perfect time to try some homemade fish tacos with my new purchase!
First I prepped the red onion. I cut slices for sautéing with the fish and diced additional onion for the topping.
Next, I made the bacon. When using bacon, I choose center cut because it’s leaner than regular bacon. Center cut bacon has less fat and more protein than regular bacon. I use olive oil spray on the pan to avoid sticking and after cooking, I place the bacon on two paper towel sheets to cool and allow some of the fat to drip off.
Then I seasoned the fish. For this recipe, I chose to use McCormick’s Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Salt Free seasoning. McCormicks has awesome salt free seasoning options, I have a cabinet full of them! My favorite flavors are garlic and onion, so since I was going to sauté the fish in the red onion, I thought the garlic flavored seasoning would be a great addition.
Next, I sautéed the sliced onions in a pan with the olive oil.
I added the fish to the pan and cooked it for about 3 minutes on each side. When cooking, you’ll want to make sure the outside is brown and the inside is white. I transferred the fish to a bowl and used my tongs to shred the fish for the tacos.
Finally, I sliced the avocado and chopped the bacon for toppings. Avocados are a source of healthy fat provide you with fiber, Vitamin E, folic acid, potassium and multiple B vitamins.
I placed two tortillas on a plate, added the fish, sprinkled the bacon and red onion on top and topped it off with 3 slices of avocado to each taco and voila, a delicious meal!
Serving Size: 2 Tacos
- 1/2 medium red onion, 1/4 sliced, 1/4 diced
- Olive oil spray
- 4 pieces center cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2, 4-ounce Hake fillets
- McCormick’s Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb salt Free seasoning
- 1 small avocado, cut into 12 slices (3 on each taco)
- 4 soft Mission tacos
- Slice 1/4 of the red onion.
- Dice 1/4 of the red onion.
- Spray pan with olive oil spray and heat on medium heat. Add 4 slices of bacon, cook for about 3-4 minutes on both sides.
- Season fish fillets with McCormick’s Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Salt Free seasoning
- Heat olive oil in pan, add red onion slices and sauté until onions are translucen. Add seasoned fish and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Slice avocado and chop cooked bacon into bite size pieces.
- Place two tortillas on each plate, add fish, sprinkle bacon and red onion on top.
- Top with 3 slices of avocado each
Calories: 494; Fat 24.7 g; Carbohydrate: 39.8 g; Protein: 32.3 g